Aging gracefully can be a scary thought in a world saturated with lotions, potions and procedures that promise to be the elixir of youth. Facial yoga is a practice on the rise and it is said to achieve that youthful lift many of us are searching for. Here are 5 face yoga exercises to combat the signs of aging, that you can try at home.
Queue the funny faces…
What is Face Yoga
Face yoga is a natural alternative to procedures like facelifts and Botox. It uses repetitive exercises and a range of stretches to strengthen the muscles under your skin, improve circulation and maintain your natural beauty. With regular practice, facial yoga works to combat, and in some cases even reverse, the signs of aging. It utilizes a range of facial exercises to tackle those telltale signs; crows feet, forehead wrinkles, drooping eyelids, jowls, thinning skin and eye wrinkles. Ready to take on them all?
Benefits of Face Yoga
I was making the funny faces in the mirror by this point, but here are a few more reasons to give it a try. Face yoga benefits include:
- Decreased fold lines
- Wider, more open eyes
- Reduce forehead lines
- Wider, fuller lips and mouth
- Uplifted corners of the mouth
- Improved lymphatic flow
- Reduction in dark under eye circles
- Plumper cheeks
- Slimmer, more defined jaw line
- Tighter neck and chin
- Increased blood flow
- Released tension
- Smoother skin
- Can easily be practiced at home
Fans of Face Yoga
I´m not usually one for celebrity endorsements, however Megan Markle, Madonna, Gwyneth Paltrow and Jennifer Aniston have all spoken about the benefits of face yoga, and just look at their skin. With youthful complexions like theirs to advocate, it´s worth seeing what difference a few strange expressions can make.
How to Practice Face Yoga
Much like traditional yoga, face yoga takes daily practice for the best results. I´ve been doing my exercises in front of the bathroom mirror and we should start to see results after just a few weeks.
Ready to Practice Face Yoga?
5 face yoga exercises to combat the signs of aging.
Exercise 1 – Eye Lift
Targets: Crows feet and droopy eyelids.
When performed on a regular basis, this exercise is said to smooth out skin around the eye and reduce lid drooping.
How to perform
- Lifting one arm up and around your head, place your fingertips on your temple, with your ring finger positioned on the corner of your eyebrow.
- Apply pressure through your fingers to lift the skin and then drop your head towards your shoulder.
- Hold this pose for three seconds and repeat on the other side.
Exercise 2 – Cheek Plumper
Targets: Fullness in cheeks
As we age our cheeks can loose fullness. This face yoga exercise works the cheek muscles, improving circulation and giving the cheeks a plumper appearance.
How to Perform
- With your lips closed tightly, suck in your cheeks to form a fish-like mouth.
- Hold this exercise for around ten seconds and relax.
- Repeat five time for each practice.
Exercise 3 – Jowl & Neck Tightener
Designed to tighten the neck, resulting in a firmer, more defined jaw line.
How to Perform
- Pucker your lips and leading with your mouth, stretch your lower face to one side, as far over as possible.
- Turn your head to that side and raise your chin to a 45 degree angle (you should feel the stretch in your neck)
- Hold for 10 seconds, relax, and then do the same for the other side.
- Repeat 3 times each day, as part of your practice.
Exercise 4 – Neck Tightener
Targets: Loose skin around the neck and jawline
Since skin around the neck is thinner, it is often one of the first areas to show signs of aging. This simple exercise works to strengthen neck muscles and improve circulation in this area.
How to Perform
- Place fingertips on your collar bone, tilt your head backwards and pucker your lips.
- After two deep breaths, move your lower jaw forward to increase the stretch for a further two breaths.
- Once your breaths are complete, relax bring your head back to center and repeat three more times.
Exercise 5 – Forehead Smoother
Targets: Forehead lines
This is my favorite exercise to end on as it smooths forehead lines and relaxes your forehead muscles – a lot of tension can be stored here.
How to Perform
- Making two fists, place them together in the center of your forehead.
- Begin to apply pressure using your index and middle finger knuckles.
- Maintaining the pressure, steadily drag your fist out from the center of your forehead, ending at your temples.
- Repeat this five times to end your face yoga practice for the day.
Giggles aside, I think there could be something to this. Are you going to try these 5 face yoga exercises to combat the signs of aging?
Had enough of the exercise? Grab yourself a drink and browse through our latest Fashion, Skincare and Wellness blogs.
Have you seen?
All the latest on the Style Beyond Age blog.